Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Robert Tait McKenzie Plaque

The plaque about Robert Tait McKenzie stands on the south side near the end of the access road in the Mill of Kintail Conservation Area north of Almonte, Ontario on the east side of Ramsay Concession 8.

Surgeon, educator and sculptor, McKenzie was born in Lanark County, Ontario. After graduating in medicine at McGill University, he became its Medical Director of Physical Training in 1894. A pioneer in physical education, he served as a surgeon with the R.A.M.C. in World War I, and developed rehabilitation techniques that were soon widely adopted. He won international acclaim for his sculptures of athletes, while his bronze medallion, the Joy of Effort, was mounted at the Olympic Stadium at Stockholm in 1912. His most significant sculpture is the Scottish-American War Memorial in Edinburgh.

Chirurgien, éducateur et sculpteur, McKenzie naquit dans le comté de Lanark en Ontario. Il étudia la médecine à l'université McGill. En 1894, il y devint directeur médical en éducation physique et pionnier dans ce domaine. Lors de la Grande Guerre, il servit comme chirurgien it mit au point des techniques de rehabilitaion qui furent largement adoptées. Ses sculptures d'athlète3s lui valurent aussi une réputation internationale et son médaillon en bronze. the Joy of Effort, fut monté au stade olympique de Stockholm en 1912. Le cénotaphe américano-écossais d'Edimbourg est sa sculpture la plus importante.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historique du Canada

Government of Canada - Governement du Canada

Monday, November 28, 2016

Norine Duhn Commemorative Tree

In Almonte, Ontario, just west of Queen Street between the Riverwalk and the south bank of the Mississippi River stands a tree accompanied by a plaque commemorating Norine Duhn.

I could not find out much about Norine Duhn. From what I found, she contributed to her community. She coached for the Naismith Minor Basketball Association (NMBA). She participated as a long time volunteer organizer of the annual Terry Fox Run in Almonte. The Almonte District High School annually presents the Norine Duhn Community Involvement award. She must have died before her natural time as she predeceased both her parents, Arther and Nora Morphy.




Saturday, November 26, 2016

Former Almonte Post Office

In Almonte, Ontario, the former Almonte post office occupies a location on the northeast corner of Mill Street and Little Bridge Street.


Begun in 1889 and finished in 1891. this building was erected to house postal and customs services. Federal chief architect Thomas Fuller was responsible for the design and Robert Cameron was the contractor. The building was part of a national programme to provide federal offices in well designed and prominently located structures. This building is influenced by the Romanesque Revival style, as the wide voussoirs over the doors and windows illustrate. The steep picturesque roof and richly coloured and carved stone are characteristic of the period.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Government of Canada


Cet édifice a été construit entre 1889 et 1891 pour abriter un bureau de poste et de douane. Il a été conçu sous la direction de l'architecte en chef du gouvernement fédéral, Thomas Fuller, et réalisé par l'entrepreneur Robert Cameron, dans le cadre d'un programme national visant à offrir des services fédéraux dans les édifices bien aménagés et bien situés. La construction est de style néo-roman, comme en font fol les larges voussoirs sur les portes et les fenètres. Le toit abrupt et pittoresque ainsi que la pierre taillée au riche coloris sont caractéristiques de l'époque.

Commission des lieux et monuments histgoriques du Canada
Gouvernement du Canada

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Dr. James Naismith Plaque

In Almonte, Ontario just north of the northeast corner of Country Road Number 29 and James Naismith Way stands a plaque titled, Dr. James Naismith.

This is the boyhood home of James Naismith, the inventor
of basketball. Born in a house which formerly stood on
this lot, he enttered McGill University in 1883 where he
was active in athletics. In 1890 Naismith graduated in
theology from Presbyterian College, Montreal, and
subsequently enrolled at the International Y.M.C.A.
Training School (now Springfield College) in Massachusetts.
There was a need for a competitive team sport that could
be played indoors during the winter months, and, there,
in December 1891, Naismith devised a game, played under
thirteen basic rules, with a ball and two round baskets.
He directed physical education at the University of Kansas
for thirty-six years and died at Lawrence, Kansas.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Mississippi River Improvement Company Plaque

In Almonte Ontario north of Mill Street, east of the Post Office and on the south bank of the Mississippi River stands a plaque that tells about the Mississippi River Improvement Company.

1909 - 1991
The Mississippi River in eastern Ontario is a tributary of the Ottawa River. The upper basin starts in the Mazinaw Lake area and enters the Ottawa River above Chats Falls. Recognizing a need to manage the water flow, Mr. Jim Brown of Carleton Place founded the Mississippi River Improvement Company Limited in 1909. In 1910 the MRIC was chartered by provincial legislation to levy tolls on water users of the system. The tolls were to cover the costs of operating and maintaining dams at Cross, Long and Gull Lakes. Ultimately, the company also assumed responsibility of abandoned dams at Mazinaw, Shabomeka and Mississagagon Lakes.

At the peak of its operation, the company was collecting tolls from as many as seventeen users comprised of flour, feed, textile and saw mills and small hydro electric generating stations.

By the 1980's there were only four users left on the system, including Almonte Hydro, a founding shareholder in the company.

The company continued to bear the total cost of dam operations despite the fact that there were other major benefactors, namely; cottage owners, recreational users and the conservation authorities. Through negotiations with the Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Ontario Hydro; the five upper dams were turned over to the MVCA and Cross Lake was taken over by Ontario Hydro in 1990.

In 1991, the company closed out its operations.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Dr. James Naismith Statue

In Almonte, Ontario, north of Mill Street between the junctions of Brae Street and Littel Bridge Street, sits the statue of Dr. James Naismith, looking ready to give a lesson in how to play basketball.

Dr. James Naismith, Inventor of Basketball

Born: November 6 1861, Ramsay Township, Ontario
Died: November 28 1939, Lawrence, Kansas

Statue Commissioned by the Dr. James Naismith Basketball Foundation

Allen Rae, James Lowry, John Gosset, Gunnar Laatunen,
Kathy Stewart, Bonnie McBain, Kristen Ray, Kevin Lee

Dedicated July 23 2011
Sculptor Elden Tefft -- Lawrence, Kansas

James Naismith

James Naismith was born on November 6th, 1861, the son of John Naismith and Margaret Young. His birthplace was on the family farm in Ramsay Township, approximately 3 kilometers north of Almonte, Ontario. At the age of nine his parents died of typhoid fever, leaving James, sister Annie and brother Robert to be raised by their uncle, P. J. Young.

He attended grade school at Bennie's Corners, north of Almonte, and high school in Almonte. In 1883 he enrolled at McGill University in Montreal where he earned a BA in Physical Education and was an avid particiapnt in football, rugby, lacrosse and ground gymnastics. In 1887 he entered the Presbyterian College of Theology in Montreal, where he obtained a diploma in 1890. Having completed his studies and McGill, Naismith joined the staff of the YMCA Training School in Springfield, Massachusetts.

During his time in Springfield, Naismith was given the task of developing an indoor game which could be played during the winter months, that was fair to all players and was free of rough play. While contemplating this asssignment Naismith drew upon a game he had played as a youth, called "Duck on a Rock". The objective of this new game involved a ball being tossed into peach baskets, of which two had been nailed ten feet off the floor, located at each end of the gymnasium. Naismith found the most accurate technique to toss the ball into the basket was to arc the throw, a method he remembered from his days playing "Duck on a Rock".

Naismith then drew up a set of 13 rules with each team consisting of 9 players. On December 21st, 1891 Naismith's new game of "Basketball" was introduced to one of his classes at the Springfield YMCA gymnasium. The first official team consisted of 5 Americans and 4 Canadians. The game of basketball successfully caught on internationally and is now one of the most popular team sports in the world.

In 1895 Naismith moved to Denver, Colorado where he became the Director of Physical Education at the YMCA. While in Denver he attended Gross Medical School and graduated in 1898, with a degree of Doctor of Medicine. In 1898 he moved to Lawrence, Kansas where he became the Director of the Gymnasium, Campus Chaplain and Basketball Coach and the University of Kansas until his retirement in 1937.

Naismith was in attendance when basketball was first played as an official Olympic Sport at the 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, Germany.

Dr. James Naismith passed away on November 28th, 1939 in Lawrence, Kansas.

James Naismith

James Naismith est né le 6 novembre 1861, le fils de John Naismith et Margaret Young. Son lieu de naissance a été sur la ferme familiale dans la municipalité de Ramsay, inviron 3 kilomètres au nord d'Almonte, en Ontario. À l'âge de neuf ans ses parents sont morts de la fièvre typhoïde, laissant James, sa soeur Annie et son frère Robert à être élevés par leur oncle, PJ Young.

Il a fréquenté l'école primaire à Bennie's Corners, au nord d'Almonte, et l'école secondaire à Almonte. En 1883, il s'est inscrit à l'Université McGill à Montréal où il a obtenu un baccalauréat en éducation physique et il était un paricipant passionné au football, au rugby, à la crosse et à la gymnastique au sol. En 1887, il a entré au collège prebytérien de théologie à Montréal, où il a obtenu un diplôme en 1890. Après avoir terminé ses études à l'Université McGill, Naismith a rejoint le personnel de l'École de formation du YMCA de Springfield, dans l'état du Massachusetts.

Lors de son séjour à Springfield, Naismith a été confié la tâche de développer un jeu intérieur qui pourrait être joué pendant les mois d'hiver, qui était équitable pour tous les joueurs et était libre de jeu rugueux. En contemplant cette mission, Naismith s'est appuyé sur un jeu qu'il avait joué dans sa jeunesse, appelé « Canard sur un rocher ». L'objectif de ce nouveau jeu impliquait une balle qui est lancée dans des paniers de pêches, dont deux avaient été cloués dix pieds du sol, situés à chaque extrémité du gymnase. Naismith a constaté que la technique la plus précise pour lancer la balle dans le panier était de le lancer à l'arc, une méthode qu'il se souvenait de ses journées à jouer au « Canard sur un rocher ».

Naismith a ensquite élaboré un ensemble de 13 règles avech chaque équipe composée 9 joueurs. Le 21 décembre 1891, le nouveau jeu du "Basketball" de Naismith a été introduit à l'un de ses cours au gymnase du YMCA de Springfield. La première équipe officielle était composée de 5 Américains et 4 Canadiens. Le jeu du basketball s'est présenté sur la scène internationale avec succès et est maintenant l'un des sprots d'équipe les plus populaires au monde.

En 1895, Naismith a déménagé à Denver, au Colorado, où il est devenu le directeur de l'éducation physique au YMCA, Lors de son séjour à Denver, il a suivi des cours au Gross Medical School et a gradué en 1898, avec un diplôme de docteur en médecine. En 1898 il a déménagé à Lawrence, au Kansas, où il est devenu le directeur du Gymnase du campus Chaplain et entraîneur de basketball à Université du Kansas jusqu'à sa retraite en 1937.

Naismith était présent lorsque le basketball a été joué pour la première fois en tant que sport olympique officiel aux Jeux Olympiques de 1936 à Berlin, en Allemagne.

Dr. James Naismith est décédé le 28 novembre 1939 à Lawrence, au Kansas.

Friday, November 18, 2016

William Buell Sr. Plaque

In Brockville, Ontario, the plaque commemorating William Buell Sr. stands on the northwest corner of Water Street West and Home Street.

Connu comme le fondateur de Brockville, Buell naît à
Hebron (Connecticut). La Révolution américaine l'incite à
s'installer au Québec, où il s'enrôle dans les forces
britanniques: il y deviendra officier dans les King's Rangers.
En 1784, une fois son unité dissoute, il s'installe sur des
terres de la Couronne au centre de ce qui ext aujourd'hui
Brockville. Un des premiers résidents permanents de la
région, Buell devient un citoyen influent. Il représente Leeds
à l'Assemblée législative du Haut-Canada (1800-1804).
Il participe aussi au développement d'Elizabethtown
(Brockville) en lotissant ses terres pour les vendre aux
colons et en donnant des terrains pour la construciton du
Palais de justice et de la prison du district de Johnstown
ainsi que d plusieurs églises.

Érigée par la Fondation du patrimoine ontarien, Ministère de la Culture et des Communications

WILLIAM BUELL, SR. 1751-1832
Renowned as the founder of Brockville, Buell was born in
Hebron, Connecticut. Shortly after the outbreak of the
American Revolution he moved to Quebec where he joined
the British forces and eventually served as a commissioned
officer in the King's Rangers. In 1784, after his unit has
been disbanded, he settled on a Crown grant her in the
centre of present-day Brockville. One of the area's first
permanent residents, Buell became and influential local
citizen. He represented Leeds in the Upper Canadian House
of Assembly (1800-04). He also contributed to the development
of the community of Elizabethtown (Brockville) by
subdividing his holdings into lots for sale to settlers and
by donating land for the Johnstown District Court House
and Gaol and for several churches.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Communications

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Mill of Kintail and Robert Tait McKenzie Plaque

North of Almonte, Ontario, on the east side of Ramsay Concession 8 and south of the Indian RiverMill of Kintail and south of the Indian River in the Mill of Kintail Conservation Area stands a plaque about the Mill of Kintail and Robert Tait McKenzie.


This grist-mill was constructed in 1830 by John Baird, a
Scottish pioneer. In 1930 it was restored by Robert Tait
Mckienzie (1867-1938) the prominent Canadian surgeon,
physical educator, and sculptor, as his summer home
and studio. Born in Lanark County, Mckenzie graduated
from McGill, and taught there and at the University of
Pennsylvania. He served with the R.A.M.C. in the War
of 1914-18 and instituted a plan for the rehabilitation
of the wounded. Mckenzie is noted for his sculputure of
athletes and war memorials, including the Scottish-
American War Memorial in Edinburgh.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board

Monday, November 14, 2016

Founding of Almonte Plaque

In Almonte just south of the Mississippi River and west of Bridge Street stands the plaque about the founding of Almonte.

The sawmill and grist-mill completed here on the Mississippi
River in 1823 by Daniel Shipman provided the nucleus around
which a community known as Shipman's Mills had developed by
1824. About 1850 two town plots were laid out here-"Victoria"
by Edward Mitcheson and "Ramsayville" by Daniel Shipman.
They were combined in 1853 as "Waterford", which in 1855
was renamed "Almonte", probably after Juan N. Almonte, a famous
Mexican general and diplomat. The opening of several woollen
mills and the completion of a railway to Brockville fostered
the growth of Almonte, which by 1870 was one of Ontario's
leading woollen cloth manufacturing centres. Incorporated as a
village in 1871, with a population of about 2000, Almonte
was proclaimed a town in 1880.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario