The Rosamonds in Almonte plaque occupies a place on the wall of the old mill just west of Almonte Street and on the north side of Mill Street in Almonte, Ontario.
|THE ROSAMONDS IN ALMONTE|
In 1857 James Rosamond built this mill on the Mississippi
River, thereby firmly establishing the woollen industry in
Almonte. An Irish-born entrepreneur, Rosamond was previously
a resident of nearby Carleton Place where, in 1846, he had
built one of the first woollen factories in this part of Upper
Canada (Ontario). In 1866 his sones, Bennett and William, then
in control, expanded the firm by constructing another larger
mill in Almonte, and in 1882 Bennett also founded the Almonte
Knitting Company. The Rosamonds' alliance with Montreal
financial interests contributed significantly to their success.
By 1890 the Rosamond woollen concerns, at the height of their
influence, employed over 500 people in Almonte, then reputedly
the seat of the woollen trade in Canada.
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation