|MISSISSIPPI RIVER IMPROVEMENT COMPANY|
1909 - 1991
At the peak of its operation, the company was collecting tolls from as many as seventeen users comprised of flour, feed, textile and saw mills and small hydro electric generating stations.
By the 1980's there were only four users left on the system, including Almonte Hydro, a founding shareholder in the company.
The company continued to bear the total cost of dam operations despite the fact that there were other major benefactors, namely; cottage owners, recreational users and the conservation authorities. Through negotiations with the Mississippi Valley Conservation Authority, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Ontario Hydro; the five upper dams were turned over to the MVCA and Cross Lake was taken over by Ontario Hydro in 1990.
In 1991, the company closed out its operations.