Friday, September 9, 2016

Canada's First Railway Tunnel

In Brockville, Ontario, the south entrance to Canada's first railway tunnel lies just south of Water Street East, in Armagh S. Price Park, midway between Market Street East and Market Street East. A plaque, signs and descriptive elements about the tunnel can be found in this area. The tunnel runs northwest from there for 1,730 feet (527 metres) to a place just north of Pearl Street East between Tunnel Avenue and Georgina Street. At this time the north entrance is inaccessible to visitors. The City of Brockville has allocated funds to stabilize the tunnel for its entire length so that visitors may have access to the north entrance.






THE BROCKVILLE TUNNEL 1860

Construction of Canada's first railway tunnel, which runs
from this point for 1,730 feet in a northerly direction,
began in September, 1854. Designed to give the Brockville
and Ottawa Railway access to the riverfront, it was opened
on December 31, 1860. This railway, incorporated in 1853,
ran from Brockville to Sand Point, near Arnprior, with a
branch line from Smith's Falls to Perth. Its first train left
Brockville's Grand Trunk station on January 25, 1859,
almost two years before finances permitted completion
of the tunnel. The Brocville and Ottawa amalgamated
in 1878 with the Canada Central Railway, which was
absorbed by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1881.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.


I took the photographs of the plaque about a month after the others
in this post. You can see in this picture that the tunnel is now closed
to the public due to work that will give visitors access to the entire
length of the tunnel.


You are now
passing over

Canada's First

RAILWAY
TUNNEL








Historic Site

South End of the
Brockville
Railway
Tunnel

Canada's First
Railway Tunnel

built in 1854-1860 for
The Brockville & Ottawa Railway

Beware
of
Trains


The Brockville & Ottawa Railway




LAYING THE FOUNDATION

The Cornerstone Ceremony
The corner stone of the Brockville Railway Tunnel was laid with great fanfare on September 16, 1854. People came from far and wide to see the parade led by the Grand Marshall, Sheriff Adiel Sherwood. Prayers were said by Rev. William Smart. A time capsue, which included the company charter, records, coins and a plaque, was placed in the cornerstone.

After sealing the stone, Masonic rites were performed. This consisted of placing a plumbline, Doric light, level, Bible, square and mallet upon the stone, all symbols of the tools of masonry, and pouring corn oil and wine over it.

The Brockville militia artillery ended the ceremony with a fifteen gun salue. With the opening ceremonies over, the hard work of tunnel construction could begin.

Tunnelling Methods
Three different methods of tunnelling were used. The south section was 'open cut' - a trench was dug up to the solid fae. This trench was later covered with a stone archway with much reinforcement since the roadway was to go over this setion. The middle section was blasted through solid rock. The north section was built by the "soft tunnelling" method with a stone liner added for strength.

Victoria Hall
Built after the tunnel in 1862, Victoria HaLL straddles it with no connection to the tunnel liner in order to minimize vibrations from the trains affecting the building.


ÉTABLIR LES FONDATIONS

La cérémonie de la pierre angulaire
Le 16 septembre 1854, la pierre angulaire du tunnel forroviaire de Brockville fut mise en place avec festivités. Cette cérémonie fut attirante pour plusieurs sous la direction du Sherrif Adiel Sherwood. Les prières furent récitées par le Réverénd William Smart. À l'intérieur de la pierre angu aire, on y déposa la charte de la compagnie de construction, des records officiels, quelques pièces de monnaies et une plaque.

Après avoir scellé la pierre, la foule assista aux cérémonies dirigées par les Franc- Maçons qui consistaient à l'emplacement d'une ligne de Maçon, une lampe Dorique, un niveau, une bible, une équerre et un maillet, l'emblème des Franc- Maçons et l'onction d'huile de maïs et de vin sur la pierre.

Le Milice de Brockville compléta les cérémonies par un salut de 15 coups. Après les festivités, le labeur ardu de la construction du tunnel débuta.

Méthodes employées pour creuser le tunnel
Trois méthodes différentes de creusage furent utilisées. Du côté sud on employa la méthode "coupe overte". Un fossé fut creusé jusqu'au roc et couvert d'un portique de pierres, prenant soin de renforcer l'arche du tunnel assurant une fondation stable car la route devait être contruite au dessus du tunnel. La section centrale fut creusée à l'aide d'explosifs. La section nord fut construite en utilisant la méthode "soft tunnelling" (tunnel mou), qui après fut couvert d'une couche de pierres servant de renfort.

Le Halle Victoria
Construit après le tunnel en 1862, le Halle Victoria chevauche le tunnel sans toucher aux parois, ceci pour empêcher les vibrations causés par les trains.


TROUBLES AND SUCCESSES

Financial Difficulties
In 1855, only a few short months after the excitement of the opening ceremony, the municipal funds for the project began to dry up. The contractors, Sykes, Debergue & Co. began to experience financial hardships. Sub-contractors John and David Booth, after having spent much of their own money on the tunnel project, were unable to pay their worker's wages.

Work Stoppage
After several weeks of working with no pay, the Yorkshirement, who had been brought over from England specifically to work on the tunnel, rebelled. The seized and wrecked the carriage of the company secretary-treasurer, Mr. Harvey.

Work on the tunnel stopped and did not resume until June 2, 1857. Complaints ended when monies were secured and the tunnel construction resumed under the sub-contracting firm of Brown, Ro and Co.

A Cause for Celebration
Success was finally achieved with the opening of the tunnel on December 31, 1860. In celebration a fifteen gun salute with cannon fire was targeted at the old blockhouse. The local artillery failed to destroy their target but mysteriously the blockhouse burnt down the next day.

A Hub of Activity
In time the waterfront around the tunnel became a busy commercial and recreation area. A roundhouse to service the trains was built on Blockhouse Island. A train depot was constructed near the tunnel. Hotels and Inns sprang up. Industries such as Reynolds Coal made use of the access to the main tracks which the tunnel provided. With the formation of the Brockville Rowing Club the waterfront became the popular recreation area it remains today.


PROBLÈMES ET SUCCÈS

Difficultés financières
En 1855, quelques mois après les festivités, les fonds municipaux pour ce projet, furent épuisés. Les contracteurs, Sykes, Debergue & Co., furent aussi en difficultés financièrew. Les sous-contracteurs, John & David Booth, après
avoir depensé de leur propre argent, furent même dans l'impossibilité même de payer leurs employés.

Arrêt de travail
Après environ 7 semaines de travail non-rémunéré, les hommes de Yorkshire, convoqués d'Angleterre pour ce projet, se sont rebellés. Ils saisirent et démolirent la voiture du secrétaire-trésorier de la compagnie, M. Harvey.

Le travail cessa jusqu'au 2 juin 1857. Les travaux reprirent lorsque le sous-contracteur, Brown Row & Co., s'assura de fonds adéquats.

Une raison pour célébrer
Le succès fut couronné par l'ouverture du tunnel le 31 décembre 1860. La milice de Brockville fut convoquée pour les festivités. Leur mission était la démolition de vieux Blockhouse par un salut de 15 coups de canon en sa direction. Leur tentative échoua mais mystérieusement, le vieux Blockhouse fut détruit par le feu le lendemain.

Beaucoup d'activité
Avec le temps, le port autour du tunnel devint un centre commercial et de récréation. Un centre de service pour train fut construit sur l'île Blockhouse. Des Hôtels et Maisons de Chambres furent établis. Des industries tel que Reynolds Coal s'approprièrent de l'accès ferroviaire. Avec la formation du Club de Canoë, la rive devint populaire à cette époque tout comme aujourd'hui.


THE LATER YEARS

Changes in Ownership
What began as a railway to link two rivers became part of a rail system which joined two oceans. This process involved two steps. The first was the amalgamation of Brockville and Ottawa Railway, builders of the Tunnel, with the Canadian Central Railway in 1878. Step two followed in 1881. The Canadian Pacific Railway in its quest to build a rail line across Canada, acquired the Canada Central Railway and by 1885 the railway spanned a continent.

The End of an Era
The closure of the tunnel represented the end of an era. By the early 1950's the Brockville - Morristown ferry ceased operation and with the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway ships no longer called. The 401 meant that people took cars instead of trains. Transport trucks took an increasing bite out of the freight traffic trains had relied upon. By the mid 1950's the tunnel was outdated. It ceased regular operation in 1956. The tracks which fed adjacent industries remained in use until the 1970's when the line was officially abandoned.

Tunnel Now an Historic Site
In 1983 the City of Brockville purchased the tunnel. The masonry ws repaired and the old wooden doors were replaced. A section of the 5'6" (167.64 cm) Provincial gauge track, like that in use in the 1860's was placed at the south end of the tunnel.

Thanks to a generous donation by the estate of Armagh Sifton Price the land around the south portal was landscaped and the existing parkland developed in 1985.

Local residents have recognized the significance of the tunnel. Hundreds attended a re-enactment of the laying of the cornerstone on September 16, 1990, 136 years to the day after the original ceremony. In 1992 City Council designated, under the Ontario Heritage Act, the north and south entrances of the tunnel in recognition of its unique history.

Steam can no longer be found coming out of the tunnel and the sound of trains is now heard only from a distance. Stop and study the walls that surround you, the oldest stone arch railway in the country, a part of Canada's history.


LES ANNÉES SUIVANTES

Changement de propriétiare
Ce qui débuta par une liaison ferroviaire pour joindre deux cours d'eau fut inclus dans un système pour joindre deux océans. Ceci impliquait deux étapes, premièrement, l'amalgamation de Brockville & Ottawa Railway et les constructeurs du tunnel avec la Canada Central Railway en 1878; la deuxième étape suivit en 1881 lorsque le Canadian Pacific Railway Co. entreprit la construction d'une ligne ferroviaire à travers le Canada, faisant aussi l'acquisition de Canada Central Railway en 1885. La liaison s'étendit à travers le continent.

La fin d'une ère
La fermeture du tunnel marqua la fin d'une ère. Au début des années 1950, le traversier entre Morristown et Brockville cessa d'opérer. L'autoroute 401, fut l'indication que les gens préfèraient la voiture au train. Les routiers s'emparèrent du transport de marchandise en capturant plusieurs contrats. Le tunnel, n'étant plus économiquement viable, fut fermé en 1956. La liaison ferroviaire qui alimentait les industries demeura overte jusqu'aux années 1970, où elle fut officialement abandonnée.

Le tunnel: un site historique
En 1983, la ville de Brockville fit l'acquisition du tunnel. La maçonnerie fut réparée et les portes de bois remplacées. Une section de voie ferrée fut installée au sud du tunnel.

Grâce à la générosité de la succession de Armagh Sifton Price, le terrain autour du portal sud fut développé en 1985.

Les résidents de Brockville et des alentours, reconnaissent la signification du tunnel. Des centaines furent présents à la deuxième cérémonie d'ouverture, le 16 septembre 1990, 136 ans après la cérémonie originale. En 1992, le conseil de la ville de Brockville, a désigné les entrées nord et sud du tunnel comme site historique, assurant ainsi sa protection et sa préservation.

On ne peut plus voir la vapeur venant du tunnel, ni entendre le son du train s'approchant, mais si nous prenons le temps d'étudier les mûrs devant nous, on y découvre le plus ancien portique de pierres et tunnel ferroviaire au Canada, une partie de notre héritage.