The Parish of St. Raphael plaque stands between two evergreen trees on the grounds and to the east of St. Raphael's Ruins, south of Country Road 18 in St. Raphael's, Ontario.
|THE PARISH OF ST. RAPHAEL|
A mission for the Roman Catholic Highlanders of the Raisin
River settlement was begun in 1786 by the Reverend Alexander
Macdonell (Scotus) and later a small frame church, called the
"Blue Chapel", was built. St. Raphael's parish was officially
recognized in 1802. The existing stone church, a fine example
of Canadian Neo-Classic design, was begun in 1821 by the
Most Reverend Alexander Macdonell, who had been appointed
to St. Raphael's in 1804, made Vicar General of Upper Canada
in 1807, and consecrated Bishop of Rhesina in 1820. From
1807 to 1826 when Macdonell became Bishop of Regiopolis
(Kingston), St. Raphael's was the administrative centre of the
Church in Upper Canada.
Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.