Thursday, July 7, 2016

The College of Iona Plaque

On the east side of Frog Hollow Road in St. Raphael's Ontario, a short way north of Country Road 18 stands and old structure, now boarded up and in need of repair. A plaque commemorating the building's history occupies a place nearby just south west of the building.





THE COLLEGE OF IONA
Established by the Reverend Alexander Macdonell, father of
Roman Catholic education in Upper Canada and later Bishop
of Kingston, the College of Iona was opened in 1826 in a log
building near this site. The central portion of the nearby
stone structure, erected by Macdonell in 1808 as the
presbytery for the parish, served as a residence for teachers
and students. Must of the cost of construction and of the
operational expenses of the school were borne by Macdonell.
In addition to being the first seminary in Upper Canada, the
school offered a general academic education preparing boys
for secular vocations. After about ten years its functions
were taken over by Regiopolis College in Kingston.
Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation
Ministry of Culture and Recreation



LE COLLEGE D'IONA
Fondé par l'abbé Alexander Macdonell, père de l'enseignement
catholique romain du Haut-Canada et plus tard évêgue de
Kingston, le Collège d'Iona ouvrit ses portes en 1826 dans
une bâtisse en rondins, située près du site actuel. La partie
centrale de l'édifice voisin, construit en pierre par Macdonell en
1808, servit de presbytère pour la paroisse, puis de résidence
pour les professeurs et les étudiants. Le coût de construction
et les frais d'administration de l'école furent acquittés en
grande partie par Macdonell. En plus d'être le premier séminaire
du Haut-Canada, l'école offrait un programme académique général
préparant les garçons à des carrières laiques. Une dizaine
d'années après, la direction en fut assumée par le Collège
Regiopolis de Kingston.
Erigée par la Fondation Héritage-Ontario
Ministère de la Culture et des Loisirs