Sunday, July 3, 2016

Hawkesbury Mills Plaque

The Hawkesbury Mills Plaque stands north of John Street on île du Chanail in Hawkesbury, Ontario.


HAWKESBURY MILLS
En 1805 Thomas Mears et David Patee louèrent des îles
situées sur la rivière Outaouais et y construisirent une
scierie et un moulin à blé. Ils bâtirent aussi un barrage à
travers le chanal jusqu'à Hawkesbury ouest où ils achetèrent
1,000 acres de terres. En 1810, la moitié de ces propriété fut
hypothéquée aux noms des frères Hamilton qui en devinrent
par la suite les seuls propriétaires. Les Hamiltons agrandirent
la scierie et en firent une des plus productives de la
province. Ils exportèrent à la Grande Bretagne de grandes
quantités de "madriers". La scierie et le moulin appartinrent
aux Hamiltons jusqu'en 1889. Le hameau qui leur faisait
face fut amalgamé en 1859 à une communautéa voisine pour
former le village incorporé de Hawkesbury.

Conseil des sites archéologiques et historiques de l'Ontario.


HAWKESBURY MILLS
In 1805 Thomas Mears and David Patee leased Islands in
the Ottawa where they built a sawmill and a grist-mill.
The constructed a dam across the channel to Hawkesbury
West and there purchased 1,000 acres of land. In 1810 half
of these properties were mortgaged to William and George
Hamilton who later obtained full ownership. The Hamiltons
enlarged the sawmill and made it one of the most productive
in the province, exporting large quantities of "deals" (softwood
planks) to Britain. The mills were owned by the Hamiltons
until 1889. The hamlet opposite the mills was combined
with the nearby "Hawkesbury Post Office" settlement in 1858
to form the incorporated village of Hawkesbury.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.