Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Man With Two Hats

The Man With Two Hats stands on the north side of Queen Elizabeth Drive opposite Dow's Lake. When driving by him he's easy to miss, as you might have your attention on the lake.






NETHERLANDS-CANADA
LIBERATION MONUMENT

THE MAN WITH TWO HATS

During the Second World War, Canadian soldiers
played a crucial role in the liberation of the Netherlands.
With the donation of this monument – an expression of
joy and a celebration of freedom – the Netherlands
pays lasting tribute to Canada.

A statue identical to this one stands in Apeldoorn in
the Netherlands. The twin monuments symbolically link
Canada and the Netherlands; though separated by an
ocean, the two countries will forever be close friends.

Her Royal Highness Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
unveiled the monument in Ottawa on May 11, 2002, and
the other in Apeldoorn on May 2, 2000.

Artist: Henk Visch


MONUMENT EN L'HONNEUR DE LA LIBÉRATION
DES PAYS–BAS PAR LE CANADA

L'HOMME AUX DEUX CHAPEAUX

Durant la Seconde Guerre mondiale, les soldats
canadiens ont joué un rôle crucial dans la libération
des Pays–Bas. Par le don de ce monument, qui exprime
la joie et fait l'éloge de la liberté les Pays–Bas ont voulu
rendre un profond hommage au Canada.

Une statue identique à celle-ci a été à Apeldoorn
aux Pays–Bas, les deux œuvres reliant symboliquement
le Canada et les Pays–Bas. Bien que séparés par un océan,
ces pays resteront à jamais unis dans l'amitié.

Son Altesse Royale la princesse Margriet des Pays–Bas
a inauguré le monument d'Ottawa, le 11 mai 2002,
et celui d'Apeldoorn, le 2 mai 2000.

Artiste : Henk Visch








Saturday, May 23, 2015

Morewood War Memorial

A fair way east of Highway 31 (Bank Street) on Morewood Road north of Winchester stands the small town of Morewood. Morewood Road becomes Main Street in Morewood. On the north side of Main Street where Moffat Street to the south becomes Mill Street stands the Morewood War Memorial in a very fine well maintained condition.









"THEIR NAME
LIVETH FOR EVERMORE"

1939     1945
ROLL OF HONOR

R82867 F/SGT. HERBERT CARL EMPEY
KILLED OVER GERMANY AUG. 28, 1942, AGED 21 YEARS

J21335 F/O GEORGE McLAUGHLIN
KILLED OVER GERMANY NOV. 18, 1943, AGED 26 YEARS

J90146 P/O FRANCIS SIMON MARCELLUS
KILLED AT YORK-SHIRE, ENGLAND, JULY 14, 1944, AGED 26 YEARS

J95398 P/O DOUGLAS LLOYD MARCELLUS
KILLED OVER GERMANY DEC. 6, 1944, AGED 19 YEARS

ERECTED BY THE VILLAGE OF MOREWOOD AND VICINITY


KOREA 1950 - 1953

1914 - 1918
ROLL OF HONOR

Dedicated to those who offered
their lives in humanity's defence
in the Great War of the Nation

Private Cifford E. Mackie 77 Batt. Killed at
Paschendale, Oct. 1916, aged 14 years

Private Wilburn Fetterley 77 Batt. killed at
Somme, Oct. 31st 1916, aged 22 years

Private Lawrence Millar 77 Batt. Killed at
Courcelette, Nov. 18th 1916, aged 22 years

Bomb. Bernice Shaver 32 Batt. Killed at
Vimy Ridge, May 1st 1917, aged 25 years

Private Charles Mitchell 154 Batt. Killed in
France, May 3rd 1917, aged 24 years

Private Milford Steinburg 154 Batt. Killed at
Loos, August 17th 1917, aged 18 years

Sapper Hugh C. Moffatt 154 Batt. Killed at
Outtersteene, Nov. 30th, 1917, aged 17 years

Private Nelson Gregoire 154 Batt. Killed at
Marais, March 20th, 1918, aged 26 years

Captain E. J. Glasgow 154 Batt. Killed at
Marais, May 9th, 1918, aged 38 years

Private Pember J. Casselman 154 Batt. Killed at
Amiens, May 28th, 1918, aged 24 years

Lieut. W. E. Durant R. A. F. Killed in
France, July 2nd, 1918, aged 23 years

Sergeant Emmerson Swerdfeger 154 Batt. Killed at
Amiens, Aug. 8th, 1918, aged 18 years

Private Clifford C. Hummell 65 Batt. Died at
Boulogne Hospital Aug. 25th, 1918, aged 27 years

Private A. A. Erratt 154 Batt. Killed in
France, August 26th 1918, aged 24 years

Bomb. Bismark Shaver English Battalion Killed at
Bapaume, Sept 15th, 1918, aged 30 years

ERECTED BY THE VILLAGE OF MOREWOOD AND VICINITY



Friday, May 22, 2015

Winchester Township World War I Memorial

On the north side of River Road that runs east of Highway 31 (Bank Street) south of Winchester and just to the east of the Nation Valley Road Bridge a memorial to The Great War stands in front of an old white school house. What we now call World War I was then simply The Great War.






ERECTED TO
OUR HEROES
KILLED
IN THE GREAT WAR
Sgt. Harold Adam Merkley
54th BATT. C. E. F.
killed at Vimy
July 19, 1918 age 22 yrs.
Pte. W. B. C. Moodie
49th BATT. C. E. F.
killed at Vimy
Apr. 9, 1917 age 33 yrs
Pte. Ransom Howard
Hess
Princess Patricia
Light Infantry C. E. F.
killed at Battle
of Parvillers
Aug 13, 1918 age 17 yrs.
Pte. Henry Couchler
28th BATT. C. E. F.
Died of wounds
in hospital, France
Nov. 1, 1918 age 33 yrs.

(C. E. F. stands for Canadian Expeditionary Force)





Thursday, May 21, 2015

Battle of Hill 70

The Battle of Hill 70 memorial occupies a prominent place in the Mountain Memorial Community Park on the south side of Clark Road in Mountain, Ontario.





Mountain Memorial
Community Park

A community meeting was held at Foster's Hall on May 29, 1922
to organize a committee to purchase a 22 acre parcel of land from
Charles Robinson for a park known as Mountain Memorial Community
Park.

The Trustee board consisted of 7 members - Sam Van Allen, Fred
Barrigar, Robert Bryan, J. R. McGillis, Dr. A. Hoy, Frank Milne and
Sam Workman.

A subscription canvas was conducted. Each donor was allowed one
vote for each $5 donated. Much hard work, time and energy was
given to the project in order to clear, level and see the north half
of the park to make it a natural playground. The southern half was
left as a woodlot.

The Mountain Memorial Community Park was officially opened on
November 12, 1925 when Brigadier General S. W. Hill dedicated a
light as a permanent memorial to the memory of fallen heroes of
Mountain Township in the First World War. The light, erected on a
tall flagstaff, was installed on a hill designated as "Hill 70" and
constructed in the centre of the park. The electric current was kindly
donated by N. W. Beach. The hill commemorates the spot from
which General Sir Arthur Currie conducted his first major operation
as Commander-in-Chief of the Canadian Corps near Lens, France.
A captured German machine gun was also mounted on the hill.

Over the years, neighbouring communities came to enjoy the many
recreational facilities provided at the park. Hockey matches were
played, skating was enjoyed to band music, carnivals were well-
supported, ball tournaments took place on the softball diamond.
Picknickers came to pass a summer's afternoon walking along the
winding cindered path through the shady woods and emerge again
at a rustic pavilion, built by S. W. Van Allen.

Adapted from Tweedsmuir History of Mountain
Compiled by Eva Simms 1965-1979

Le Parc ommunautaire
commémoratif de <<Mountian>>

Lors d'une rencontre communautaire tenue à <<Foster's Hall>>, le
29 mai 1922, un comité fut créé dont le mandat était de procéder à
l'achat d'un terrain de 22 acres appartenant à M. Charles Robinson
pour en faire un parc connu aujourd'hui sous le nom de <<Parc
communautaire commémoratif de Mountain>>.

Le Conseil des curateurs était composé de sept memres, Sam
Van Allen, Fred Barrigar, Robert Bryan, J. R. McGillis, Dr. A. Hoy,
Frank Milne et Sam Workman.

On a procédé à une levée de fonds publique laquelle permettait
d'obetinir un vote pour chaque $5 versé. Beaucoup de travail dur, du
temps et de l'énergie ont permis de défricher la partie nord du
terrain, procéder à son nivelage puis l'ensemencer pour en faire un
parc naturel d'amusement. La seconde moitié du terrain acquis
devait demeurer boisé.

Le <<Parc communautaire commémoratif de Mountain>> a été
officiellement ouvert au public le 12 novembre 1925. Le Brigadier
général S. W. Hill a dédié une lampe comme élément commemoratif
permanent à la mémoire des héros du comté de <<Mountain>> tués au
cours de la Première Guerre mondiale. Cetter lampe fut installée au
sommet d'un grand mât érigé sur une petite colline, appelée <<Côte
70>> située au centre du parc. L'alimentation électrique fut un don de
N. W. Beach. Cette colline se veut un rappel de l'endroit où le
Général Sir Arthur Currie a lancé sa première offensive majeure à
titre de Commandant en chef des troupes d'infanterie canadiennes à
Lens, en France. Une mitrailleuse allemande saisie au cours de cette
bataille a également été installéesur la colline.

Au cours des années, les membres des communautés
environnantes ont pu jouir des facilités récréatives du parc dont des
parties de hockey sur glace; on y venait faire du patin sur glace
ou encore écouter des esembles musicaux; les carnivals étaient
bien fréquentés, suivis de tournois de balle molle. Les pique-niqueurs
y venaient passer leurs après-midi d'été et marcher le long des
sentiers sinueux à travers la forèt ombragée pour atteindre
le pavillon rustique construit par S. W. Van Allen.

Adaption tirée de <<Tweedsmuir History of Mountain>>
Données répertoriées par Eva Simms 1965-1979


The Battle of Hill 70
Lens, France
15-18 August, 1917

The Battle of Hill 70 has been called the forgotten
battle of the First World War of 1914-1918. Unlike
famous battles in which Canadian soldiers took part,
such as Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele, no monument
has ever been erected to remember what happened
there. Only in the community of Mountain, Ontario is
there a memorial expressly dedicated to this important
Canadian victory.

In the summer of 1917, Canadian General Sir Arthur
Currie was promoted and made the General Officer
Commanding of the Canadian Corps of the Canadian
Expeditionary Force. For the first time, and for the
remainder of the war, all four divisions of the Canadian
Corps would be under Canadian command.

On July 7, 1917, the British High Command ordered
General Currie and the Canadian Corps to capture the
French city of Lens from its German occupiers. Seeing
that the city was heavily fortified and easily defended,
General Currie proposed that the Canadians instead
storm Hill 70, the higher ground north of Lens.

Beginning on Aug. 1, 1917, the Canadian artillery
bombarded the German trenches and defences on and
in the vicinity of Hill 70. The artillery, for the first time
in history aided through real-time observation by radio-
equipped aircraft of the Royal Flying Corps, targetted
the German defensive positions and gun batteries for
two weeks.

At 4:25 am, on August 15, 1917 more than 5,000
Canadian infantrymen of the 1st and 2nd Divisions
went over the top and went forward from their
trenches, preceded by a rolling barrage of shells fired
by over 200 Canadian artillery pieces. The rapidity
of the Canadian attack took the German defenders
by surprise and most of the Canadian objectives
were quickly captured.

Despite heavy enemy artillery fire, including wtih
newly-invented mustard gass shells, the Canadians
consolidated their gains and awaited the German
counterattacks. Over the next four days and nights,
the Germans would launch attack after attack to try
to push the Canadians off Hill 70. None succeeded,
as the Canadians tenaciously defended the hill,
despite the sweltering summer heat wave, the
clous of poison gas, the ceaseless artillery shelling
and the murderous machine gun fire sweeping the
battlefield. Ammunition and water ran low, and
fighting often was hand-to-hand. Casualties were
heavy on both sides. But the Canadians never
relented.

By the end of August 18, the Germans had been
completely defeated. No fewer than twenty-one
counterattacks had bee fought off.

This victory cemented the reputation of the
Canadian soldiers as being elite "shock troops"
who were among the best Allied troops to fight
in the war. The cost was high. The Canadian Corps
suffered 5,843 casualties during the Battle of Hill
70 including 1,505 killed, 4,297 wounded and 41
taken prisoner. In all, the Corps suffered 8,677
casualties during the fighting as Lens between
August 15 and 25, 1917.

La bataille de la Côte 70
Lens, France
Du 15 au 18 août 1917

La bataille de la Côte 70 a été souvent désignée
la <<bataille oubliée>> de la Première Guerre mondiale
1914-1918. Contrairement aux fameuses batailles
que Vimy et Passchendaele, aucun monument n'a été
érigé pour commémorer les événements entourant
cette bataille. Il n'existe qu'un seul monument
spécifiquement désigné pour rappeler cette importante
victoire canadienne; il est situé dans la communauté
de <<Mountain>> en Ontario.

À l'été 1917, le Général canadien, Sir Arthur Currie,
a été promu et obtient le grade du Commandant
général du Corps canadien de la Force expéditionnaire
canadienne. Pour la première fois, et cela jusqu'à la
fin de la guerre, les quatre divisions du Corps
canadien demeureront sous commandement canadien.

Le 7 juillet 1917, le Haut Commandement britannique
a donné ordre au Commandant Currie et au Corps
d'infanterie canadien de reprendre la ville française de
Lens occupée par les Allemands. Ayant observé que
le Général Currie a préféré envahir la Côte 70, le point
le plus élevé situé au nord de la ville de Lens.

Le 1er août 1917, l'artillerie canadienne a amorcé le
bombardement des tranchées et des systèmes de
défense de la Côte 70 elle-mème de de son
environnement immédiat. L'artillerie, pour la première
fois de l'histoire soutenue simultanément par l'aviation
britannique en contact radio avec les forces
canadiennes, a ciblé les positions de defénse
allemandes et leurs batteries penant deux semaines.

À 04:25h, le 15 août 1917, plus the 5 000 soldats
d'infanterie des Première et Deuxième Divisions s
sont lances à l'assaut de la Côte 70, un mouvement
précedé par un barrage soutenu d'obus provenant de

plus de 200 pièces de l'artillerie canadienne. La
rapidité de l'attaque canadienne a pris les soldats
allemands par surprise et la plupart des objectifs des
Canadiens ont été atteints.

En dépit du feu intense de l'artillerie ennemie
incluant les nouveaux obus contanant le <<gaz
moutarde>>, les Canadiens ont consolidé leurs gains
sans totefois ignorer les futures contre-attaques
inévitables des forces allemandes. Au cours des
quatre jours suivants, jour et nuit, les Allemands ont
multiplié leurs attaques afin de déloger les
Canadiens de la Côte 70. Aucune d'entre elles n'a
reussi. Les Canadiens ont défendu leurs positions sur
La Côte 70 avec ténacité en dépit d'une chaleur d'été
étouffante, des nuages de gaz empoisonné, des
bombardements d'artillerie sans arrét et du balayage
meurtrier du champ d bataille aus armes
automatiques. Les munitions et l'eau ont ateint un bas
niveau et souvent les combats finissaient en corps à
corps. Des deux côtés, les pertes étaient lourdes,
mais les Canadiens n'ont jamais cédé.

À la fin de la journée du 18 août, les soldats
allemands sont défaits. Les Canadiens avaient
résisté à pas moins de vingt et une contre attaques.

Cette victoire a consolidé la réputation de soldats
canadiens comme étant l'élite de <<troupes de choc>>
et les meileurs soldats parmi les troupes alliées. Le
coût était élevé. Durant la bataille de la Côte 70,
les pertes se sont élevées à 5 843 soldats dont
1 505 morts, 4 297 blessés et 41 d'entre eux faits
prisonneiers. Au cours de la bataille à Lens qui a durée
du 15 au 25 août 1917 le Corps canadien a perdu
8 677 hommes.



This park is a memorial to 8,677 Canadian casualties in
The Battle of Hill 70
World War 1
August 15 to 25, 1917
"An overwhelming victory for the Canadian Corps"


A Project of the
Mountain and District Lions Club
September 2011

Dedicated 12 Nov. 1925
Re-Dedicated 16 Sept. 2012

Dévoilé le 12 Nov. 1925
Dévoilé de Nouveau le 16 Sept. 2012





In Memory of
EUNICE JOHNSTON
1942 - 2011
An Inspiration for the Hill 70
Redevelopment Project

May 3, 2012