Monday, June 1, 2015

Naval Reserve Monument

The Naval Reserve Monument consists of a nautical flag mast, an anchor and two nine pounder cannon. It occupies a place west of Dow's Lake next to HMCS Carleton.









THE RESERVIST IS TWICE
THE CITIZEN
This monument was unveiled by
His Excellency
The Governor General of Canada
Roland C. Michener, C.C., C.M.M., C.D.
On Battle of Atlantic Sunday
6 May, 1973
in the fiftieth year of the
NAVAL RESERVE


UN RÉSERVISTE
C'EST UN CITOYEN DEUX FOIS
Ce monument a été inauguré
par son Excellence
le Gouverneur Général du Canada
Roland C. Michener, C.C., C.M.M., C.D.
à l'occasion du dimanche de la
Battaille de l'Atlatique, CE 6 mai, 1973
en la cinquantieme année de la
RESERVE NAVALE



9–POUNDER GUN

These replica cannon are mounted on garrison carriages
of the type used in most 18th–century Canadian forts.
The original barrels were made of cast iron and bear the
cypher of King George III, indicating that they were
cast between 1760 and 1820. The "broad arrow" mark
on the barrels denotes their ownership by the
British Board of Ordnance.

The title "9–pounder" means that the cannon ball fired
from this gun weighed nine pounds.








CANONS DE 9 LIVRES

Ces répliques, montées sur des chariots de garnison, sont
du genre de canons employés dans la plupart des forts
canadiens au cours du 18º siècle. Les tubes originels, de
fer coulé portaient le monogramme du Roi George III,
indiquant par là qu'ils avaient été coulés entre 1760 et 1820.
La marque d'une "broad arrow" (large flèche) sur les tubes
indique que ces derniers appartenaient au British Board of
Ordnance (le Comité Britannique de matériel du guerre).

L'appellation "9 livres" signifie que le boulet tiré
par ce canon pesait neuf livres.