Monday, June 23, 2014

The Lost Child

When I was at Ottawa City Hall taking pictures of the memorials on the City Hall grounds from where I was where Cartier ends at Lisgar I saw these large stones standing in the courtyard next to the former Teacher's College. They look like a memorial, so I took a closer look. Ah! There's a plaque. From reading it, I concluded that the stones make up an art piece, not a memorial. At the same time the sentiment of the artist resonated with me, so I photographed the piece and here are the pictures.
The artist, David Ruben Piqtoukun, is an Inuk from Paulatuk, Northwest Territories.


THE LOST CHILD

1989

DAVID RUBEN-PIQTOUKUN, 1950

Northwest Territories
Kingston Hue Sandstone

The Lost Child represents conceptually
the experience of the artist as a
young child visiting Edmonton with its
overwhelming urban skyline.
David states "We have all been lost at
some point in our lives."