Friday, November 30, 2012

The Valiants Memorial

The Valiants Memorial commemorates fourteen key individuals from the military history of Canada.
This plaque reads:

A Valiant Leader

The Valiants Memorial came to fruition thanks to the visionary spirit and determination of Gordon Hamilton, OC. A distinguished Canadian and veteran of the Second World War, he also served in the Canadian Foreign Service. In addition to his dedication to preserving Canada's military heritage, he has been an active promoter of culture and the arts.
Pierre LeMoyne d'Iberville

Thayendanegea (Joseph Brant)

Captain John Wallace Thomas, CBE

Georgina Pope

Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, KB

John Butler

Louis de Buade, le comte de Frontenac

Charles de Salaberry

Laura Secord

Corporal Joseph Kaeble, VC, MM

Major Paul Triquet, VC, CD

General Sir Arthur Currie, GCMG, KCB

Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski, VC

Lieutenant Robert Hampton Gray, VC, DSC

Polish Canadian Airmen Memorial

This memorial stands in Confederation Park in Ottawa. The plaque reads:

"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die."
(Thomas Campbell)

This is to express the gratitude and admiration which lives in the hearts of former soldiers of the Polish Home Army for the valiant Canadian airmen who fell over Poland while flying support missions during World War II and in particular during the uprising aimed at liberation of the city of Warsaw from nazi occupation in August and September 1944.

The Polish Home Army Ex-Servicemen's Association in Canada

1984

Monday, November 26, 2012

Brantwood Place Gates

The Brantwood Place Gates were built in 1912 to promote the housing development to the east of them. The gates were built from cheap materials and at one point there was talk of removing them. There was opposition to this by Ottawa's citizenry. In 1948 the gates were dedicated as a war memorial and designated heritage property.

The gates are, at this time, not in good condition. The City of Ottawa plans to have the gates rebuilt as part of an upcoming 2013-2015 Main Street rebuild.
1912

BRANTWOOD PLACE GATES

Built as an entrance to Brantwood Place, a new approach to town planning for its time. Dedicated as a war memorial in 1948.

Designated heritage property.









Beechwood Cemetery Memorials
















Royal Canadian Navy Monument

  
ROYAL CANADIAN NAVY MONUMENT

This monument was created as an enduring legacy to the Royal Canadian Navy, in honour of its centennial celebrated in 2010.

Since its establishment, the Navy has been instrumental in protecting and preserving Canada's sovereignty, not only by safeguarding our maritime approaches, but also by representing our interests in international waters. This monument commemorates the contributions and sacrifices of the men and women in naval uniform who have served and continue to serve Canada at sea in times of peace and war. Their contribution will not be forgotten.

Artist: Al McWilliams
Architects: Joost Bakker and Bruce Haden
Getting to this monument to view it may be somewhat tricky. Going west on Wellington Street take the first right turn immediately after passing the Portage Bridge. Going east on Wellington take the first left after Lett Street. Park in the parking lot for the Mill St. Brew Pub.

Walk north east along the path. Do not cross the foot bridge over the water. You will soon come upon the monument.