Monday, January 22, 2018

St. Andrew's Church

St. Andrew's Church occupies the southwest corner of County Road 18 and St. Andrews Road, in Saint Andrews West, Ontario.








ST. ANDREW'S CHURCH

This building, the oldest remaining stone structure in teh province erected as a church, was completed about 1801. Many of the pioneer settlers in this area were Roman Catholic Highlanders, ministered to by the Rev. Roderick Macdonell, the missionary at St. Regis. The church was built under his leadership, with the assistance of a prominent local settler, "Spanish" John Macdonell, who obtained contributions for its construction from members of the North West Company and other fur traders. It was used as a hospital during the War of 1812, ans served its congregation until replaced by the adjacent church in 1860. Simon Fraser and Sandfield Macdonald are bried in the graveyard opposite.

Arhaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.










Thursday, January 18, 2018

Captain Miles Macdonell Plaque

In St. Andrews West, Ontario, north of Cornwall, on the southwest corner of County Road 18 and St. Andrews Road beside St. Andrew's church stands a plaque commemorating Captain Miles Macdonell.




CAPTAIN MILES MACDONELL

Born in Scotland about 1769, Miles emigrated with his father 'Spanish' John, and other members of the family to New York, 1773. Following the Revolution, they settled near Cornwall at St. Andrews West. In 1811-12 he became Lord Selkirk's agent, and led the first band of settlers to the Red River colony. The Nor'Westers endeavoured to destroy the settlement, and arrested Macdonell on a false charge in 1815. Released without trial, he returned to his farm in Osnabruck township, but later moved to his brother's residence at Point Fortune, where he died in 1828.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.




Monday, January 15, 2018

Fleck Fountain

The Fleck Fountain occupies a place on the southwest corner of Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway and Booth Street in Ottawa, Ontario.


The site accompanying the fountain acts like a small museum with historical information and pictures of Ottawa. You'll find visiting it worth your time.


THE FLECK FOUNTAIN: A BYWAY TO THE PAST

In 2013, this granite fountain was unearthed at LeBreton Flats as workers did soil cleanup there. Researchers learned that the fountain was erected in the 1890s in memory of Lilias W. Fleck, wife of local industrialist Alexander Fleck, by her children.

In 1894, it became the centrepiece for a small park built in the east end of the Flats. The park was a beautification project financed in part by Mrs. Fleck's son-in-law, Thomas Ahearn. How the fountain came to be buried in a different part of the Flats remains unknown.

The drinking fountain is a relic from a time when LeBreton Flats was a busy working-class neighbourhood in a young capital city. Living conditions - both in the Flats and in Ottawa itself - would improve greatly over the next few decades thanks to innovations linked to this community.


LA FONTAINE FLECK : PUISER DANS LE PASSÉ

Cette fontaine de granit a été retrouvée sur les plaines Le Breton en 2013 alors que des ouvriers travaillaient à la décontamination des sols. Les chercheiurs ont découvert qu'elle avait été érigée dans les années 1890 par les enfants de Lilias W. Fleck, épouse de l'industriel local Alexander Fleck, en sa mémoire.

En 1894, la fontaine devient la pièce maîtresse d'un petit parc situé du côté est des plaines. Le parc est un projét d'embellissement financé en partie par le gendre de madame Fleck, Thomas Ahearn. La raison pour laquelle la fontaine fut enterrée dans une autre partie des plaines demeure inconnue.

Cette fontaine est une relique d'une époque où les plaines LeBreton étaient un quartier ouvrier animé au sein d'une jeune capitale. Les conditions de vie, dans les plaines et à Ottawa, s'améliorent considérablement au cours des décennies grâce aux innovations liées à cette communauté.


1. Fountain location, 1894
2. Site where fountain was unearthed, 2013
3. Current fountain location

1. Emplacement de la fontaine, 1894
2. Site où la fontaine a été retrouvée, 2013
3. Lieu actuel de la fontaine







The Fleck Fountain is an example of a Victorian-era drinking fountain. Like the one in this photo, it provided fresh water for people and animals.



La fontaine Fleck est un example d'une fontaine d'eau potable de l'époque victorienne. Comme la fontaine sur cette photo, elle fournit de l'eau fraîche pour les gens et les animaux.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF ♦ LILIAS W. FLECK ♦ ERECTED BY HER CHILDREN








Note that stainless steel structures stand in for the missing parts of the fountain.



A map with streets and their names were engraved in the concrete here.